The original wastewater treatment facility was constructed in 1941. There have been improvements to the plant since that time, primarily in 1956, where there was a plant expansion, and the installation of plant effluent disinfection facilities in 1968. In 1980 the plant was expanded to treat a larger daily flow. Since 1980 the Village has invested in additional components specifically an updated effluent pump station and UV disinfection facility.
Plans / Studies
The Village has undertaken multiple studies of the plant to provide guidance on how to improve or replace the system.
CH2MHill – 2013 | Download
In 2013 the Village received a study from CH2MHill which is available for download. This study determined three options for the Village at that time –
- Improve specific components of the plant over time,
- Replacement the plant
- Pump wastewater to the City of Piqua.
At the time the Village decided to move forward with one component, which was the UV disinfection and effluent pump update.
Mote Engineering – 2020 | Download
In 2020 the Village again set out to understand what needs to be done with the plant. Mote Engineering came to a Council meeting and provided Council with an estimate for complete replacement of the plant.
Kleinfelder – 2021 | Download
In the Spring of 2021 the Council determined they would like to have a complete update to the 2013 report, and went out for bid. Kleinfelder was chosen to update the plan. This update was completed in June 2021 and presented to Council. It again had three options available for consideration:
- Replacement of some components, utilization of existing infrastructure that can be saved.
- Complete abandonment of existing facility and construction of a new plant.
- Complete abandonment of existing facility and connection to the City of Piqua.
After review by the Council, Alternative 1 was chosen to move forward for formal RFP and bidding in July, 2021. The PowerPoint from the June 28, 2021 meeting is available for download here.
The potential engineering estimate cost for the Alternative 1 option was $14,000,001. Council was shown multiple financing options for consideration as well as additional discussion on rates and potential increases.
Current Development Timeline (Tentative based on Funding Approvals)
- Council Resolution – Design of WWTP – July, 2021
- Receive Bids and Award Bid (Design) – August, 2021
- Design of WWTP – 4 Months – Completed by December, 2021
- OEPA PTI – 3 Months – Completed by April, 2022
- Advertise Bid for Construction of WWTP – May, 2022
- Receive Bids and Award Bid (Construction) – July, 2022
- Begin Construction – August, 2022
- Complete Construction – August, 2023