By Ralph and James Boggs (1953)
THE AREA which now comprises Miami County was first within Hamilton County which was the second county established in the Northwest Territory, being formed on January 2, 1790 by proclamation of Governor St. Clair. Eight years later Ross County was established and subsequently on May 1, 1803 Montgomery County was formed from parts of Ross and Hamilton Counties and included all the lands north to Michigan, west of Champaign County to Indiana, a territory 40 by 170 miles. On January 16, 1807 a strip of land 40 by 45 miles running east to west across Montgomery County was formed into Miami County with all the land north remaining in Montgomery County which actually made two different parcels of land, both called Montgomery County. In 1812 the Legislature of Ohio put all lands north of Miami County in Miami County taking them from Montgomery, and so made Miami an area of 40 by 150 miles and extended north to Michigan. The western portion of Miami was then formed into Darke County in March 1817, leaving Miami with a territory of 20 by 50 miles. Shortly thereafter, in 1819, Shelby County was formed to the north and the present boundary was established. Miami County today contains 404.24 square miles with the greatest east-west distance being 21 miles. The north-south distance is 19 miles on the west side of the Miami River and 22 miles on the east side. Miami lies between 39 degrees, 55 minutes and 40 degrees, 11 minutes north latitude and between 84 degrees, 2 minutes and 84 degrees 26 minutes, west longitude, and is composed of twelve townships; Monroe, Bethel, Springereek, Washington, Staunton, Concord, Elizabeth, Brown, Newberry, Newton, Union and Lostcreek of which this book hereafter will deal only with the township of Newberry.
The name Miami was taken from the Indian name Miami which was the name of one of the oldest Indian Tribes in this area. The first white settler was Peter Felix, Indian Trader, and his three companions who built cabins near Staunton in the autumn of 1795 . They were followed in 1797 by John Knoop who settled east of Troy, Ohio. The population of Miami County today is 61,309 as compared with 8,851 in 1820.