By Ralph and James Boggs (1953)
NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP had not been long settled when the need was felt for an educational system. The first house for this purpose was erected at a spot which is now half way between route 36 and the Highland cemetery, on the west side of the road. It was built in 1815 or 1816 and did not long remain. The second school house was built about 1819 a half-mile farther north on the east side of the road (Highland Cemetery) and remained long in use. The first teacher in the house was Andrew Ballard. In other parts of the township school was held in dwelling and vacant cabins, one being the Trotters Creek settlement where John Barbour and Benjamin Dunham taught. In 1824 an acre of ground was deeded to Newberry Township on whicn was built a hewed-log school house. The first teacher in this building was William Dowler who taught for several years; other early teachers were James Perry and Moses Mitchell. As the population increased we find the township divided into districts each having its brick school house and an acre of ground for recreation. This system prevailed until 1931 when the last building was abandoned for the centralized system. The buildings were sold at auction, some being used for dwellings, storage, etc. One, No. 7 was sold to the American Legion for a meeting house.
The Trotters Creek Church was organized in 1820 by Mr. Stackhouse and the meetings were held in homes and barns. Caleb Worley became its pastor in 1824 and continued as such until 1846 at which time the congregation merged with the Covington Christian Church.
Meetings of the German Baptist Church were held as early as 1816 in barns and dwellings under the leadership of Michael Etter. The Harris Creek Church was built in 1855 due to an increase of members in that locality. In 1892 the non-progressive branch of the German Baptists left their church in Covington and built a frame meeting house east of Covington on the Farrington Road. In 1950 it was torn down and replaced by a modern brick structure. Prior to this the congregation had split and part of the m purchased the old number nine school and remodeled it for their church in 1931.
The Greenville Creek Christian Church was organized by Caleb Worley in 1843 and their first church was built in 1844, being replaced in 1882 with the present structure.
The Union Church on the Union Church Road no longer exists having been recently torn down due to the fact that the building was no longer safe. This was one of the oldest churches in the township. (Built 1852.)
The St. Johns Evangelical Church located on the Shelby Miami County line was organized in 1875 and was mostly served by the pastor of the Covington Lutheran Church. This church was destroyed by fire in 1938 and the members united with other Lutheran Churches.
All burials at this time were made in small family cemeteries or in churchyards, the largest and oldest being that at Sugar Grove. The family graveyards were very numerous and every section had two or more. These small cemeteries today are being cared for by the Township Trustees.
The growth of Covington in this period was very slow, the village having only three families in 1826. On August 29, 1828 Robert and William Robertson laid out the plot of New Jefferson which was a spot between Main and High Streets beginning at the section line north of the railroad (today) and extending south 57 rods. This was later added to the Village of Covington.