By Ralph and James Boggs (1953)
IN JULY 1901, The Dayton, Covington, and Piqua Traction Line was started and in October of 1902 the first cars entered the village. This electric railroad entered Covington at the South corporation line and followed High street north to the intersection of the Greenville Turnpike where it turned east and followed the Piqua Pike (route 36) to Piqua. The depot stood on the southeast corner of the intersection.
On March 10, 1903, the village council approved the construction of the Covington, Bradford and Versailles Traction Line which was to be called route 2 and joined the D. C. & P. Traction . Line at the intersection of High and Broadway. This electric railroad never materialized.
The Covington Water Works was first conceived in the summer of 1903. Test wells were drilled and land secured during the fall and actual construction started in 1904 with virtual completion in the spring of 1903. Superintendents of the water works have been: Charles Rudy (1905-1936), John Hecker (1936-1940, Alva Mutzner (1941-1942), C. D. Kellenbarger (1942-1949) and Leslie Zimmerman appointed in 1949 and still serving in that capacity. The water works is governed by the Board of Trustees of Public Affairs, a three member board duly bonded and elected for a term of two years. (The current board is composed of C. E. Peiffer, C. R. Crawford and W. C. Flory.) Operation and maintenance costs are financed by water rents collected quarterly. Water rates are established by the board and adjusted when necessary with the view of meeting regular operating expenses with a surplus sufficient to meet the requirements of equipment replacement. Currently, the village receives its water from three artesian wells (a fourth held for reserve) approximately 50 feet deep. The average 24 hour pumping to 835 metered customers is 300,000 gallons distributed from two water towers.
The Village Council on February 12, 1906, passed an ordinance permitting the P. C. C. & St. L. RR to construct a new railroad through Covington about one block north of the original tracks, said railroad to be elevated and to cross Main, High, Pearl and Wall streets with overhead bridges. Construction was started in 1906 by the Hoover-Kinnear Co. and the railroad was completed in 1907. A brick depot was erected on the south side of the overhead on the west side of High street but has since been torn down.
On May 12, 1907, Miss Florence Floyd was shot and killed near the residence of Lawrence Supinger on West Broadway by Danny Dallulio, a worker for the Hoover-Kinnear Co. Dalltilio then attempted suicide but lived to be convicted and died in the State Pen Hospital.
1913 Flood; During the latter part of March, 1913, rain came in torrential quantity for four days in succession and toward evening of Monday, March 24, the water had reached flood crest. The 1913 flood caused property loss in Covington of $50,000 although no lives were lost. Total loss to the Miami Valley was 361 lives and $66,765,574.
By a vote of 283 to 249, in a special election, the village voted to stay “Wet” in 1916. The Armory was built just before Company A was called to the Mexican Border. They were sent first to Camp Willis, Ohio on July 3, 1916, moved in September to El Paso, Texas where they remained until March of 1917.
At 11pm on Thursday, January 11, 1917, Marshal Harvey Hake was shot and killed by Albert Warren (alias Bert Clark) at the site of Weaver’s Barber Shop, which was at that time a pool room. Hake was shot while attempting to arrest Warren on an assault and battery charge filed by his wife. The coroner ‘viewed the body’ on January 12, officially announcing the death. Warren (aka Bert Clark) was convicted and executed in the electric chair on Friday, June 22, 1917.
According to the death certificate, Harvey James Hake was buried in Gettysburg, Ohio (the Gettysburg Cemetery is near Covington) – that is where his wife Laura Belle (Hahn) Hake was born and is also buried. Harvey and Laura had two children Madge (1890) and Gordon (1893).
From The Star and Sentinel – Gettysburg, PA – Monday, January 15, 1917
Charged with the murder of Harvey J. Hake, Albert Warren, alias Bert Clark, was committed to jail in Troy, Ohio after being placed under arrest by a posse that pursued Clark to his home near Covington where he had fortified himself to resist their efforts.
The death of Mr. Hake occurred at 11:00 pm on Thursday night, January 11, 1917, and when first information was received it was believed it was due to natural causes. A dispatch in the city papers, however, on Saturday morning told of the dramatic surrender of the alleged murderer, who walked from his barricaded home with his baby in his arms and gave himself up to the police.
The coroner ‘viewed the body’ on January 12th, officially determining Hake was deceased from a “shot in right eye by Albert Clark (murderous intention)”.
Mr. Hake was village marshal of Covington, Ohio, where he has been a resident for many years since leaving Adams county more than thirty years ago. Clark was charged with some minor offense, which included and assault and battery charge filed by his wife, and Officer Hake went to arrest him. Clark resisted and in the encounter with the policeman brought a shot gun into play. Hake’s head was literally blown off by the charge of the gun.
When news of the death reached Covington residents, a posse set out to capture the suspect. Clark went into his home and barricading the place, he successfully resisted the attacking party the entire night. In the morning he walked out of his house, his baby in his arms and surrendered himself to police.
He was taken to Troy, about 20 miles away and a charge of murder was preferred against him.
Marshal Hake was a native of Adams county and was a brother of Mrs. Edwards S. Faber and Mrs. Murray Seads, both of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He left Gettysburg 37 years ago and for a lengthy period has been marshal at Covington, where he leaves behind a widow and two children. He was a son of the late James and Martha Hake of near Gettysburg. The funeral and interment will occur in Covington, Ohio.
WORLD WAR 1; Company A left El Paso, Texas and entered Fort Benjamin Harrison to be mustered out but as world war was imminent, the order was recalled. After a short stay at Fort Benjamin Harrison, they were sent to Ohio on guard duty. On August 14, 1917 they were ordered to Camp Sherman near Chillicothe and later became part of the 148th Infantry, 37th Division, U. S. Army. They were also stationed at Camp Sheriden (Montgomery, Ala.) and Camp Lee at Petersburgh, Virginia. On June 23, 1918, they embarked for overseas service on the U. S. S. Susquehanna and on July 5, 1918 landed at Brest, France and a short time later were detailed for. service on the Alsace- Lorraine front. They also served at Vosges Mountains, Robert- Espange, Verdun, Meuse-Argonne, St. Mihiel, St. Jean, Weltje, Belgium, Olsene, Bellow Wood and Ypres. They returned to the United States March 28, 1919 and were discharged in April of that year.
From this period on, the village grew rapidly and as the population increased, the town expanded with it. In 1931, a new high school building was erected and equipped at a cost of $140,000, a sum which was stretched to the limit and necessitated buying secondhand equipment such as the present seats in the gymnasium which were taken from May’s Opera House in Piqua. Once again, the schools were inadequate, currently absorbing 839 pupils, 439 being transported from rural districts by six school buses. The administrative and teaching staff totaled 29 and in 1952 the cost of administration was $175,135.41. The schools were governed by the Board of Education, a 5 member body, duly elected to serve terms of four years at a compensation of $3.00 per meeting, not to exceed 12 meetings a year. Present board members were: Helen Etter, clerk, Leslie Zimmerman, William Trembly, Kermit Stade, and Clarence Millhouse. J. L. Baker is Superintendent of schools, and Louis Apwisch, principal.
The local contingent of the Ohio National Guard was mustered into federal service October 21, 1940 and trained at Camp Shelby, Miss. before serving in World War II. The company was again federalized in January of 1952 and sent to Camp Polk, La. to train for service in the Korean campaign.
The sewer system, formerly owned and operated by three independent companies, was combined in 1942 when the treatment plant was constructed, and had been under the control of the Board of Public Affairs at that time. The cost of construction of the plant and the tie-in of sewers was financed jointly by the PWA and sale of general taxation bonds, but before completion it was discovered that these funds were insufficient, and $17,000.00 in mortgage revenue bonds were sold. The debt as of December 31, 1952 was $17,000.00 in general taxation bonds and $7,000.00 in mortgage revenue bonds.
Rates are established by the Board so as to provide sufficient funds for operating and maintenance, and retirement of the revenue bonds as they become due. Until the revenue bonds are paid in full, it is illegal to use funds received for sewage treatment for any purpose other than operating expense, maintenance and repair, and bond retirement. Sewer extensions cannot be made with funds received from this source.
CITY OFFICIALS FROM 1901 TO 1951
1901 – N. H. Nill, mayor; G. Dreese, H. Furnas, J. Metzger, O. Younce, C. Shafer and Lon Conover were councilmen.
1902 – Election Results—N. H. Nill, mayor; J. G. Wagner, L., Simes, and E. Furnas, councilmen (only three elected). Harvey Hake was appointed marshal and served in that capacity until his death in 1917.
1903 – Election—N. H. Nill, mayor; L. Simes, J. Metzger, Charles Boehringer, Jacob Kendell, D. D. Wine, and O. M. Fin- frock. J. Guy O’Donnell was appointed solicitor.
1904 – Election—John Weaver, Hamilton Bartmess, and Albert Miller to the council.
1905 – Election—R. F. Alberry, mayor; A. W. Minton, John Bashore and Forrest Hoover, councilmen.
1906 – Officials were—R. F. Alberry, mayor; Dan Knoop, Forrest Hoover, John Bashore, A. W. Minton, John Weaver and Albert Miller. From this point on, a full council was elected every two years.
1907 – Election—N. H. Nill, mayor; William Swisher, Willis Minton, Robert Himes, Charles McMaken, William Vandegrift and A. S. Rosenberger, councilmen.
1909 – Election—R. S. Van Hise, mayor; J, H. Hecker, W. A. Reed, A. S. Rosenberger, L. A. Ruhl, E. W. Thomas and Henry Zollinger, councilmen.
1911 – Election—R. S. Van Hise, mayor; W. H. Reed, E. W. Thomas, L. A. Ruhl, J. H. Hecker, H. C. McCrossing and Samuel Hoeflich, councilmen (1910 population 1,848)
1913 – Election—George Flammer, mayor; J. H. Hecker, Samuel Hoeflich. George Hollopeter, H. C. McCrossing, S. J. Rudy and L. A. Ruhl. (Flammer resigned and was succeeded by Joseph Miller)
1915 – Election—Joseph Miller, mayor; R. W. Himes, Samuel Hoeflich, W. A. Reed, George Hollopeter, J. H. Hecker and L. A. Ruhl, councilmen.
1917 – Election—Joseph Miller, mayor; Charles Boyer, A. W. Minton, J. H. Hecker, E. W. Thomas, W. A. Reed and W. C. Grabed, councilmen. E. C. Diltz appointed marshall. In 1918, Mayor Miller resigned and was succeeded by J. H. Becker of the Council. S. A. Kraus was appointed to the council. E. C. Diltz resigned as marshal and was replaced by John Kraus. W. C. Graber resigned from the council and was replaced by E. S. Mohler who resigned 2 months later and W. C. Graber reappointed.
1919 – Election—W. L. Marlin, mayor; C. E. Aspinall, Charles Boyer, D. B. Flory, Samuel Hoeflich, A. W. Minton, E. W. Thomas, councilmen. Charles Green was appointed marshal. (Population in 1920 – 1,885)
1921 – Election—Blain Devor, mayor; Arthur Adams, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory, J. H. Hecker, Harry Rice and W. E. Routzahn, councilmen. Charles Green, marshall.
1923 – Election—Charles Maier, mayor; Arthur Adams, Charles Aspinall, John Furnas, Charles Ingle, W. C. Graber, and W. C. Paff, councilmen. M. W. Weikert was appointed marshal. Arthur Adams resigned and was replaced by B. Himes. Early in 1925, Charles Green served as marshall.)
1925 – Election—Charles Maier, mayor: Ralph Minnich. J. H. Hecker, C. E. Aspinall, H. C. Rice, C. B. Ingle and A. C. Rhoades, councilmen. A. C. Rhoades was disqualified and B. C. Thomas was appointed. Fred Minnich was appointed marshal. (In 1926, Fred Minnich resigned and was replaced by Frank O’Roark. J. H. Hecker resigned and was replaced by W. H. Paff.)
1927 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; D. B. Flory, B. W- Thomas, W. C. Flory, C. E. Aspinall, E. M. Fox and Charles Ingle, councilmen. Frank O’Roark was appointed marshal. (In 1928—W. C. Flory resigned and was replaced by John Kraus. E. M. Fox resigned and was replaced by S. J. Rudy.)
1929 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; Levi Warner, J. L. Reck, E. S. Mohler, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory and R. E. Armstrong, councilmen. (J. L. Reck resigned and was replaced by Fred Holsinger. E. S. Mohler resigned and was replaced by J. G. Rench.)
1931 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; C. B. Maier, B. W. Thomas, J. G. Rench, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory and J. R. Furnas, councilmen. (D. B. Flory resigned and was replaced by S. E. Ilolsinger.)
1933 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; J. L. Hoover, C. B. Maier, Jesse O’Roark, C. E. Aspinall, S. J. Rudy and J. R. Furnas, councilmen.
1935 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; C. E. Aspinall, C. B. Maier, S. J. Rudy, Jesse O’Roark, J. R. Furnas, Ira Gump, councilmen. (1936 E. B. Deeter replaced C. E. Aspinall; 1937 Paul Major replaced S. J. Rudy; 1937 Carl Felger succeeds E. B. Deeter.)
1937 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; J. W. Giffin, C. B. Maier, Jesse O’Roark, Carl Felger, J. D. Huffman, and J. R. Furnas, councilmen.
1939 – Election—George Hollopeter. mayor; W. H. Westfall, W. H. Perry, R. H. Wehr, J. D. Huffman, Jesse O’Roark, John Giffin, councilmen. (W. L. Schilling succeeds John Giffin. August, 1941 – Frank O’Roark resigns as marshal after 14 years service. Howard Johnston appointed marshal )
1941—‘Election—Joe Hoover, mayor; C. E. Warner, Jacob Reich- man, C. J. Hoeflich, W. L. Schilling, Jesse O’Roark and M. H. Westfall, councilmen.
1943 – Election—Joe Hoover, mayor; C. R. Crawford, H. M. Giffin, C. G. Reynolds, L. J. Adams, Jacob Reichman, and Jesse O’Roark, councilmen. (O’Roark resigned and was succeeded by C. E. Warner. 1945—Howard Johnston resigned as marshal and was replaced by W. L. Schilling.)
1945 – Election—J. B. Neth, mayor; C. R. Crawford, C. G. Reynolds, Jacob Reichman, L. J. Adams, Lester George, J. L. O’Roark, councilmen. (March 1946—J. B. Neth died, C. R. Crawford appointed mayor and H. M. Giffin appointed to council. May, 1946—W. L. Schilling resigned as marshal and was replaced by John Tobias.)
1947 – Election—E. C. Diltz, mayor; L. J. George, Jacob Reichman, Samuel Hoeflich, J. L. O’Roark, John Mutzner, George Draher, councilmen. (Draher resigned and was replaced by Russell Little.
1948 – John Tobias resigned and James Rice appointed marshall.)
1949 – Election—J. D. Huffman, mayor; H. M. Giffin, L. J. George, S. G. Rudy, R. K. Johnston, J. L. O’Roark, Jacob Reichman, councilmen.
1951 – Election—J. D. Huffman, mayor; R. K. Johnston, J. L. O’Roark, Dan Spencer, John Thompson, Fred Roberts, Roger Draher, councilmen. (Roger Draher resigned and was replaced by George Draher.)